Getting ready for your holiday gatherings may seem a little different this year, but one thing will remain the same – delicious, comfort food. Want to switch up your regular side dish? Try this savory Mushroom Risotto recipe from Chef Brian Lorente. Brian is a chef at the corporate cafeteria of one of our large technology clients in Seattle and is always whipping up something tasty!
- 8 oz chef’s mix gourmet mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock, broth, or bouillon
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 3/4 cups parmesan cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Cut any large mushroom chunks from chef’s mix into slightly smaller pieces.
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil & sauté mushrooms for about 3 minutes until soft. Remove from pan, reserve for later.
3. Heat another tablespoon of oil in the same pan, sauté shallots & garlic for about 2 minutes. Add rice, incorporate with olive oil to coat. Lightly toast the rice for about 3 minutes.
4. Deglaze the pan with white wine, be sure to scrape up any residue from the bottom and incorporate it into the mixture.
5. When the wine has absorbed into the rice, add 1/2 cup of chicken broth at a time while stirring. When each ladle of broth looks like it is almost absorbed, add another half cup & stir. Repeat this process for 20 to 25 minutes until rice is al dente but not mushy. You may not use all of the broth. Stir constantly.
6. There should be a little bit of liquid left in the rice when it is ready to finish. The mixture should be able to move in the pan, but should not be runny, nor thick and gloppy. Move the pan off of the heat & swirl in the cold butter, then mix in the parmesan. Reincorporate the mushrooms, adjust for salt & pepper if necessary.
7. Serve immediately. Garnish the mushroom risotto with fresh, chopped parsley. Enjoy!
The Service Companies is your trusted integrated services partner providing unparalleled and innovative cleaning, housekeeping, temporary food & beverage staffing, and facility maintenance services to hotels, casinos, corporate cafeterias, universities, schools, stadiums, and commercial facilities. Whether you are interested in our services for your facility or are interested in joining our team, we look forward to working with you.