With all the unruly winter weather, National Chili Day couldn’t come any sooner. Try Chef Brian Lorente’s chili recipe to bring some heat to your day. Filled with robust spices that create a flavorful chili, this recipe is sure to provide you with warmth from the inside out. Chef Brian works at our tech client’s corporate cafeteria in Seattle and enjoys cooking comfort food.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Half of large yellow onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb package of pinto beans, cooked
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom pan over medium until almost smoking. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Place the ground beef in the pan and cook until thoroughly brown. Drain if necessary. Season with paprika, cumin, and chili powder.
- Lightly rinse beans with water to wash off excess residue.
- Add tomatoes, beans, broth, salt, and pepper to the pan. Simmer 20 minutes. Add the cayenne pepper.
- Serve with optional garnish, cheese, avocado, scallions, or sour cream.