This Valentine’s Day fall in love with these Red Velvet Thumbprint Cookies from our Chef, Adam Del Pozzi. The rich chocolate flavor of the cookie with tangy but sweet frosting is a match made in heaven! Chef Adam works at the corporate cafeteria for one of our tech clients in Seattle and loves creating memories through food.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white (room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300°. In large bowl cream together butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla, egg yoke, and food coloring. In another bowl whisk together flour and cocoa powder. Gradually beat into mixture.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and then roll in coarse sugar. Place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart on parchment paper. Use your thumb and press into the center of each ball to create a deep indentation. Plave the cooking sheet into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, mix together filling ingredients until smooth.
- After the 10 minutes are up, remove the cookies from the oven and carefully fill thumbprint. Place the cookies immediately back in the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool (on a cooling rack preferably). Enjoy!